Sunday, January 10, 2010
Lesson Plan- (Pre K - K): Woman at the Well
The Woman at the Well
Objectives: The children will
- retell the story of “The Woman at the Well”
- discuss how others can be mean to someone because they are different
- name ways of how they can be kind to people who are different
- identify who promised to send a savior one day
- identify who the savior is
Prayer and questions from last week’s lesson
Woman at the Well Word Wall- Word wall templates are large flash card printables that you can hang on the wall to aid children when they are learning or using new vocabulary words.
Introduce story: Is it hard to be kind to someone that is different from you? (Discuss) Has anyone ever been mean to you because you were in some way different? (Discuss) How did it feel when they were mean to you? (Discuss) What kind of things can you do to make people who are different feel good? (Discuss)
Say: You have some great ideas on how to be kind. We can be kind to everyone, even people who are different because God is kind.
Read story: “The Woman at the Well” from your own story book.
Or read: lambsongs.co.nz- “The Woman by the Well” by Jill Kemp (scroll down to this) booklet
Then ask questions from below.
1. Jesus was tired and thirsty. Where did Jesus rest while his helpers went to buy food? (At a well.)
2. Who came from the town of Samaria to get water from the well? (A woman.)
3. What did Jesus want the woman to do for him? (Get him a drink of water.)
4. Why was she surprised when he asked her for a drink of water? (People were not friendly to anyone from Samaria.)
5. What did Jesus say to the woman if anyone drank that water at the well? (That they will be thirsty again.)
6. What would happen if someone drank the water that Jesus gave them? (They will never thirst and they would be new inside.)
7. Did Jesus know everything that she had ever done in her life? (Yes)
8. Who promised to send a savior one day? (God)
9. Who is this savior? (Jesus)
10. The woman left her water jar and what did she do? (She went into town and told the people what happened.)
11. Did the people from Samaria come to see Jesus at the well? (Yes)
Songs and/or Finger Plays:
Jesus Satisfies (song) & Living Water (finger play)- Playful Songs and Bible Stories for Preschoolers by Group Publishing, page 136.
missionarlington.org- “I Can Be a Friend to You” tune: “London Bridge is Falling Down” page 4
I can be a friend to you, friend to you, friend to you.
I can be a friend to you, just like Jesus.
Sing “Jesus Loves Me”
Introduce activity: What would it be like if we were all the same?
Same and Different
Say: We are all alike in some ways and different in some ways. Let’s find some ways that we are alike. (When you ask these questions be sure that they do not exclude one child so they will feel like the odd one out. Ask questions so that a group of children can participate in each question.
Example: Who is wearing a dress? Who has brown eyes? Who is wearing tennis shoes? Etc.
Say: There are some things about us that are different and some things that are the same. If we were all exactly the same there would be no way to tell us apart.
missionarlington.org- The Woman at the Well Meets Jesus (John 4:1-30, 39-42) Scroll down to preschool lesson
sermons4kids.com- Dying for a Drink object lesson
sermons4kids.com- Thirst Quencher object lesson
sermons4kids.com- Living Water object lesson
childrensermons.com- Jesus by the Well object lesson
davidccook.com- Jesus Knows Me lesson with activities
Introduce movie: How should we treat others?
Movie- Veggie Tales: Are You My Neighbor? The Gourds Must Be Crazy (14 min.) and ask questions:
1. Why wouldn’t Jr. invite Fernando to his party? (Because he was different.)
2. What did Jr. learn about people that are different? (Being different can be good. It’s the inside that counts.)
3. Should we make fun of people who are different? (No)
4. How should we treat others? We should treat everyone how you would like to be treated.
sermons4kids.com- The Thirst Quencher (group activities) crafts
sermons4kids.com- Living Water (group activities) crafts
Introduce craft: Jesus was tired and thirsty. Where did Jesus rest while his helpers went to buy food?
daniellesplace.com- Woman at the Well Pencil Holder, Bible Verse Review and Craft, Woman at the Well Paper Water Scoop Craft, Cup of Living Water Craft,
familycrafts.about.com- Wishing Well
Craft using a tin can and popsicle sticks (you can leave off the roof if you wish)
dreamlandmagic.soniacjensen..com- Wishing Well Children’s Craft (make with or without flowers)
orientaltrading.com- Samaritan Woman Well Craft Kit
craftingthewordofgod.com- Samaritan Woman at the Well (craft)
sermons4kids.com- The Thirst Quencher (group activities) games
sermons4kids.com- Living Water (group activities) games
Introduce game: What did Jesus say to the woman if anyone drank that water at the well?
Bucket Brigade- As kids work together to move water, they’ll discover God wants to share his living water with everyone. (The Encyclopedia of Bible Games for Children’s Ministry, page 92 & 93.)
missionarlington.org- Water Relay (page 5)
Divide your students into two equal groups. Provide the first student in each group with a small drinking cup. Position a bucket of water per group at the start line and an empty bucket at the finish line. The group that transfers the most water from the first bucket to the second, after giving each group member a chance, is the winner.
Introduce games: How did Jesus treat others that he met? Jesus was always kind and helpful to the people he met. Jesus showed his love by caring for those who needed his healing touch. The next time you want to let someone know how much you care for them, remember that we show others we care, not just by sending flowers and gifts, but by showing acts of kindness each and every day -- just like Jesus did.
Random Acts of Kindness- Children identify Random Acts of Kindness as they move around the board.
The Golden Rule- This game helps promote why someone would use proper manners and etiquette in our daily lives.
Jesus is Our Savior- Jesus is our rescuer and offers us a lifeline when we’re trapped in sin. How can we solve the problems in our life? Jesus is our savior and if we follow him, he will show us the way.
Introduce snack: How can we be kind to others?
Have students wash their hands and make an easy snack for another class. (Make arrangements with the other classroom prior to the lesson so you have permission from that teacher and they know that a snack is being brought to them).
(Example: popcorn, trail mix, cheese whiz on a cracker, etc.)
After they have delivered their treat, they may have some as well.
Prayers while students are doing worksheets and/or coloring.
sermons4kids.com- The Woman at the Well
sermons4kids.com- Samaritan Woman
azcoloring.com- Woman At The Well Coloring Pages
sundayschoolsources.com- Woman at the Well (coloring)
lambsongs.co.nz- “The Woman by the Well” by Jill Kemp (scroll down to this) booklet and one page bible story for the children to color
first-school.ws- Water (handwriting )
sermons4kids.com- The Samaritan Woman (maze)
Big Puzzles for Little Hands by Carla Williams- The Woman at the Well (dot-to-dot) page 57
azcoloring.com- Find the hidden pictures (you can do this together as a class)
Numbers in a Jar (worksheets)- Numbers-in-a-Jar worksheets designed to use with manipulatives to count and learn to write numerals, and number words.