Thursday, August 19, 2010

Church Potluck Recipe: Baked Beans





Our parish always has a church picnic just before school starts. I usually bring my grandmother’s baked beans which have been a favorite for years.



Baked Beans

2 (28 oz.) can of Bush’s Baked Beans with onions (green ribbon on can says ONION)
8 pieces of bacon
1 box of dark brown sugar


Cut up 8 pieces of bacon in 2 inch strips and fry until crispy. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. In a pot, combine beans, bacon, and the whole box (yes, the whole box) of brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Turn to low and simmer until beans are really thick. Stir occasionally. I judge it to be done if my wooden spoon can almost stand up in it.


*You can make this the day before and bring it the next day to church in a crock pot to keep the beans warm. I usually double the recipe to make a whole bunch!





1 comment:

Gardenia said...

sounds delicious. thanks for sharing.