Saturday, February 11, 2012

Crafty Crafters: Lent






So how crafty are you?

What is your favorite religious craft you make for Lent?



Here is a craft I make with my students using a toilet paper roll:


Introduce craft: What happens to a caterpillar? He changes into a butterfly. What are we supposed to do during Lent? We are to change and be better Christians. We are going to make something to show us how the caterpillar changed into a butterfly to remind us that we are to change during Lent and become more like Jesus.


Butterfly- (this website has been removed)


Need:

• Toilet-paper tube
• Tongue depressor or ice-cream pop stick
• Heavy paper
• 6" (150 mm) piece of pipe cleaner, folded in half
• Markers or crayons
• Scissors and glue


Directions:

1. Cut out and color a butterfly from the heavy paper. Use any colors, but make both halves look the same. Put a small hole at the top of the butterfly's head.
2. Color the toilet paper tube to look like a chrysalis
3. Take a piece of pipe cleaner and shape it like the letter "V". Put one point through the little hole in the butterfly's head and then twist it to look like antennae. Butterflies use these "feelers" to learn about their environment.
4. Glue the butterfly to one end of the tongue depressor or ice-cream pop stick. Let the glue dry.
5. Curl the butterfly's wings and slide it into the chrysalis.
6. Pull the stick to make the beautiful butterfly come out of the chrysalis.



Please comment so I can add the link to your blog to this post. We would love to see what you do!





4 comments:

Barbara said...

I posted a link to your Lent Activities..I think this butterfly activity is a great lenten activity! Way to Go!

Amazing_Grace said...

Barbara- Thank you! My students enjoy making it every year! Did your children/students like it?

Jen Rollins said...

This is my second year teaching CCE and I just love your website - it's been a great resource for me. Will be doing the butterfly activity with my kiddos tonight!

Amazing_Grace said...

sassyaggie- I am so glad that you like my blog and the activities. Let us know if your students liked the craft. :)